Our Family Coalition offers a stimulating and challenging working environment that is productive, meaningful, and convivial. Talented, dedicated people working together as a small-but-mighty team, we make a big impact in providing support for and advancing the civil rights and well-being of lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and queer (LGBTQ+) families with children and prospective parents in California.
Our volunteer and intern opportunities are always open on a rolling basis, and we welcome applications at any time. Paid part- and full-time positions, when available, are listed under Jobs below.
Our Family Coalition is always seeking volunteers to share their talents, energy and ideas with us. You can assist at our various events or in the office, or help design a new project, publicity materials, or a campaign. We greatly appreciate an extra hand in supporting our work to promote a better world for all our families!
What is required to be a volunteer?
- An open, curious, attitude.
- Willingness to go the extra mile at times, and think creatively.
What do volunteers get in return?
- The opportunity to promote a better world for LGBTQ families and our allies.
- Lots of smiles and hi-fives from families at our events. Seriously, you will find many of them thanking you, making this even more rewarding.
- Warm fuzzy feelings because you give back!
Our Family Coalition internships offer valuable experience advocating for and supporting Bay Area LGBTQ+ headed families in a well-established, dynamic, team-driven non-profit organization. Interns develop hands-on skills in an area of interest, deepen networks, and connect with like-minded peers, leaving with new knowledge, friendships, and professional references.
Click on each internship title below to download PDFs with more detailed job descriptions.
- Communications and Media Interns [opens PDF]help amplify OFC's events and work and increase the visibility of LGBTQ-headed families, with messaging in social media channels, e-newsletters, print newsletters, OFC website content, press releases, and email marketing.
- Development Interns [opens PDF] these interns support all of OFC's work by soliciting and managing grants, sponsorships, and relationships with foundations and individual donors, as well as working on fundraising events and initiatives. NOTE: no intern apps are being accepted at this time; please check back again in the future!
- Education Interns [opens PDF] support OFC's direct trainings in school communities, as well as help develop our extensive online resources to strengthen anti-bias and LGBTQ-inclusive practices and curricula in K-12 schools. NOTE: no intern apps are being accepted at this time; please check back again in the future!
- Family Support Program Interns [opens PDF] provide direct support to current and prospective LGBTQ parents and caregivers, from family-building to early years, school years, and beyond, by helping the Programs team deliver over 250 workshops, support groups, and community-building events each year.
- Web Design & Development Interns [opens PDF] take a deep dive into large-scale (125+ page) website redesign project, helping audit current information architecture and site content, and helping implement the many back-end design and content management tasks leading up to the beta-testing and launch of a redesigned website.
To apply for any of the internships listed at left, please contact the staff member listed in the internship PDFs [linked from their titles].
We have no positions open at this time.
Thank you for your interest! And stay in touch: volunteer and intern opportunities are always available, and there is always more work to be done on behalf of our families!
When positions are open, candidates are asked to submit a resume and cover letter to OFC, and are reviewed on a rolling basis. Unless an application deadline is noted, positions are filled once preferred candidate is identified.