Dangerous anti-LGBTQ rhetoric is in full swing, and we need to respond.
Less than two weeks following the California Department of Education’s passage of the new LGBTQ-inclusive Sexual Health Framework, a conservative, anti-LGBTQ organization is misleading and rallying parents against inclusive education, inciting protests and threatening educators and administrators.
Deliberate falsehoods have been circulated to stir up opposition to LGBTQ inclusion. Here are the facts:
- This newly inclusive Framework provides guidance and support, not mandates, for teachers and schools.
- Every family has and continues to have the right to determine what their child learns about sex education.
- One in ten California middle and high schoolers identifies as LGBTQ, and they deserve medically accurate, age-appropriate lessons every bit as much as their cisgender and heterosexually-identified peers.
- When surveyed, 89% of California parents supported comprehensive sex ed in schools.
- Teachers up and down the state have asked for these resources to help answer the hard questions and ensure every kid in their class feels seen and safe. Help us support them!
Donate what you can today to enable OFC to do more of what we do so well: train schools how to approach LGBTQ-affirmative and inclusive education in ways that work–for every teacher, and every student.
Contact OFC’s Education Team to find plug in as a volunteer to support this critical advocacy–in our office, at your child’s school, or even from home.
Let’s not let this very vocal minority distort the issues and rob our kids of the balanced, inclusive education they deserve.